The Mason Public Library can trace its beginnings to 1957, when a group of citizens asked the Lebanon Public Library Board of Trustees to establish a branch in Mason. The branch opened a year later with a core collection of 3,000 books. In 1962 the library was moved to a larger location on Main Street.
Citing increased demands from a growing population , a group of citizens in 1975 gathered 1,500 signatures on a petition asking the state legislature to allow Mason to establish its own library. Two years later, thanks to a $100,000 bequest from Mason resident, Orville Parkhill, and to the efforts of state representative Corwin Nixon, the legislature passed a bill allowing the city to set up its own library district. The legislation, Ohio House Bill 80, allows a municipal corporation of less than 25,000 to set up its own library district and be eligible for intangible tax funds if a minimum of $100,000 is made available from designated bequests for the establishment of a library.
Groundbreaking for a new, 8,000 square foot facility at 200 Reading Road took place in May 1979. A year later, the new library opened, boasting a collection of 13,887 books and 4,345 registered patrons.
Today the library holds approximately 161,000 items and has more than 41,000 registered patrons.
Its summer reading program, which runs June through July, has a membership each year of more than 1,500 children. The library offers computer access to the Internet, wireless internet access, interlibrary loan services, voter and Golden Buckeye Card registration, and a host of other services.